Author Topic: Blum hinge 79B3598 mounting plate selection confusion  (Read 926 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mark37

  • Posts: 22
Blum hinge 79B3598 mounting plate selection confusion
« on: September 05, 2023, 08:07 PM »
I built this diagonal kitchen sink cabinet about 40 years ago.  The hinges are shot.  They are very old school and I can't find a model number on them.  The hinges do not clip to the mounting plate, there is a screw that holds the hinge to the plate.

Looking at the Blum catalog, the 79B3598 is a modern replacement (see PDF).  I realize I will need to redrill the doors for the Inserta mounting system.  There is another version with screw mount that should bolt right in, but I prefer to upgrade to the Blumotion. so I will deal with any plugging and redrilling.

When I purchased the original hinges they came packaged with the mounting plates.  As far as I can tell the hinges and mounting plates are now sold separately, and the Blum catalog page does not specify which plate is compatible.

I can see that I need H=0mm mounting plates, and the construction is frameless, but I cant figure out which mounting plate to order.  With wood screw attachment, there is

Std 1 piece wing 173L6100
Cam adjust wing 173H7100
Std 2 piece wing 175H7100
Cam adjust in line 175H3100

The standard 2 piece wing style is similar to what I have worked with in the past.  I am not familiar with the cam adjust syle.

Thanks for your help

Festool USA does not pre-approve the contents of this website nor endorse the application or use of any Festool product in any way other than in the manner described in the Festool Instruction Manual. To reduce the risk of serious injury and/or damage to your Festool product, always read, understand and follow all warnings and instructions in your Festool product's Instruction Manual. Although Festool strives for accuracy in the website material, the website may contain inaccuracies. Festool makes no representations about the accuracy, reliability, completeness or timeliness of the material on this website or about the results to be obtained from using the website. Festool and its affiliates cannot be responsible for improper postings or your reliance on the website's material. Your use of any material contained on this website is entirely at your own risk. The content contained on this site is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute professional advice.

Offline Lincoln

  • Posts: 382
Re: Blum hinge 79B3598 mounting plate selection confusion
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 08:36 PM »
The 'cam adjust' is an adjusting screw for moving the plate up and down, instead of backing off the fixing screws to move up and down. That's the only difference.

I haven't heard them referred to as 'Wing', but assuming they are 'cruciform' - has the fixing screws mounted vertically, accessible when hinge is clipped on.

'Inline', the plate is mounted horizontally, so fixing screws are hidden under the hinge body when clipped on. These are also adjusted up and down with a cam adjust, accessible through the hinge when clipped on.

Offline woodferret

  • Posts: 537
Re: Blum hinge 79B3598 mounting plate selection confusion
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 09:01 PM »
79B355180 or 79B3558 for the screw version IIRC (don't have the catalog in front of me)

Cam adjustment range is smaller, but it's useful for inset.  Mostly a nice to have though, using only one of your hinges cam.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 09:07 PM by woodferret »

Offline Mark37

  • Posts: 22
Re: Blum hinge 79B3598 mounting plate selection confusion
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 12:17 AM »
Thanks that helps a lot.  In my searches I saw both "wing" and "cruciform" but the Blum catalog says "wing."

I think I'll try the cam adjust.  And this is probably a good time to start changing over to Euro Screws so I'll get order that version of the mounting plates.

Offline Crazyraceguy

  • Posts: 3290
Re: Blum hinge 79B3598 mounting plate selection confusion
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 05:48 PM »
The reason they don't come with the mounting plates is because they are "modular".
The exact same hinge can be use in several different configurations. The thinnest one is for a "full overlay" door, then there is one that is intended for "half overlay", and also "inset" which are the thickest. 
There are hinges made specifically for each of those situations too, and they all use the thin plate.
Most of the Blum hardware is like that. Drawer guides don't come with the clips to hold them to the drawer either.
DF500 + assortment set
PS420 + Base kit
MFK700 (2)
TS55,FS800, FS1080, FS1400/ LR32, FS1900, FS 2424/ LR32, FS3000
CT26E + Workshop cleaning set, Bluetooth remote
ETS EC 125
ETS 125 (2)
RTS 400
Shaper Origin/Workstation/Plate
MFT clamps set
Installers set
Centrotech organizer set
Socket/Ratchet set
Pliers set